Fri, 1 May 2015
In this interview, Shawn Popp talks about adding music to your performances and answers many questions that people have asked about his app Show Cues.
Shawn Popp, AKA the Magic Dude, is one of Colorado's favorite performers. He's built a career traveling the country performing his magic at corporate events, trade shows, private parties, and other special events. His thouroughally entertaining show includes magic, mentalism, comedy, and music.
Speaking of music, Shawn is also the mind behind the iOS app Show Cues, a sound control system which helps you to bring music to your shows. It's almost like having a sound engineer in your pocket.
Click Convert Profit — This episode is brought to you by Josh London's Click Convert Profit and his book Flying Solo, the Smart Solopreneur’s Guide to Making Money Online.
Click here to get $10 off and for my listeners only, the free ebook "4 Ways to Find Your Most Profitable Keywords”.
Make every day great and fun as well as every show!
Magic and Music
• How important music really is to a magic act.
• How he chooses music for his shows.
• Each performer needs to find what speaks to them and their own style.
• Having a well-defined character helps when picking music.
• Be aware of your audience.
• Common places in a show where you can add music.
• Three steps to adding music to your show.
About Show Cues App
SPECIAL FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMERCAST LISTENERS: For three days only, May 1–3, 2015, Shawn is offering 20% off of both the Show Cues App (taking it from $89.99 down to $69.99) and the Show Cues Remote (taking it from $59.99 to $47.99).
• What it is and why he created it.
• Android version coming soon.
• They're open to feedback from users and take it into account to make the app better.
• A universal app (iPhone and iPad) is on the horizon and current users will be able to upgrade for free if they currently own one or the other.
• Why so expensive?
• Addresses questions and concerns regarding remotes not working with the app.
Talks about a failed "card stab" on stage and what he did.
Being booked over and over by the same clients year after year.
Other Topics Covered
• Talked about how he shifted into performing full-time which involved him freelancing as a graphic designer.
• Saving up money before you "jump ship."
Don't sell yourself short. Do great magic. Price yourself accordingly.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you're enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we're doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
Secret Agenda by Roberto Giobbi
Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
The Expert from Out of Town: Marketing a Business Nationwide by Anthony F. Perry
Where can we find Shawn Popp?